Thursday 14 January 2016

Heaven's Newest Angels | Editor's Personal tribute to David Bowie, Alan Rickman, & Rene Angelil


by CA Marshall

As I posted this banner (above) on our Starlight Music Chronicles Facebook Page as well as my personal wall, a friend shared it with the comment: 'They say it comes in threes' and it had me remembering that this was always something my mother used to say. And then, I began to reminisce.....

I am not writing about the chronological lifetime or career of each of these distinguished gentlemen. I am not going to write about the complete state of shock or sadness the world is in that we are about to bury yet two more of these magnificent souls taken by the very same disease (cancer) as their predecessor, Mr. David Bowie within days and in today's case, the very same day as one another.

I am going to write about what each of these three gentlemen brought positively and personally to my world and what enrichment they have leant to my life as a result of leaving this world. 


DAVID BOWIE

'Little China Girl' was the first song that truly had me at 'hello' with our beloved Blackstar (click here to read my review on the album). I remember the 80's very fondly because of musicians like New Order, Depeche Mode, Duran Duran, Culture Club, and David Bowie (to name a few). I guess I always did have a thing for British Pop/Rock/Alternative culture and it is something that has not left me to this day.

Memories of listening to David Bowie on the radio brings me back to a time in my life where I was transitioning from a young girl to a grown woman and with each passing year, his music brought color and culture into my life through his lyrics, keen fashion sense, and unique sound. I will always maintain that the very sound of his voice catapults me right back to that time and the greatest days of my life. It was a time when my mother was very healthy, I was having a blast in High School and College and there wasn't any worry about this thing called death. I will always associate him with the best time in my life. 

I will miss the art of the man they called 'Ziggy Stardust' and more importantly, the man who brought me true appreciation of British Music culture. 



ALAN RICKMAN

Sense and Sensibility was not the first time I saw Actor & Director Alan Rickman on the silver screen but it is truly my most memorable moment of this fine Actor. You see, this movie came out at a time in my life when romance was in full bloom as it was the same year I was married. 

I remember this transition time in my life also very fondly and I began avidly following Alan throughout his career for the simple fact that he embodied everything that romance stood for to me: he portrayed gentle, calm, delicate, kind, loyal, protective and loving roles in other films as well (aside from his appearance in Die Hard and the Harry Potter series). It helped me to transition from the young woman dating boys to the adult woman who had become a wife and mother all within a few years span. I have often related to books and exceptional Actors in many rites of passage in my life and that has often helped get me through. I am a huge Jane Austen fan as well and Alan brought the role of Colonel Brandon to life in a way that so few Actors could ever do. His art will also be missed greatly.


RENE ANGELIL

As a fan and connoisseur of Celine Dion from the mid nineties until today, it is safe to say that 'behind every great woman, there is a great man'. This man was René Angélil.

I have always seen the love and support my mother received in her last days with my father who took such care of her in her last days of her life. Similarly, I saw this same pattern in this great man who taught me endurance and trust and to cherish the bonds between friends, family, and otherwise and I really admired him for that. I know, I know, I admire a LOT of industry people but really, isn't that what life is all about? Having a passion for what you do and loving it? 

This was a tough one to hear about because I feel that the time between these two magnificent people was cut way too short and I am reminded today that we are not getting any younger....the relationships and bonds we build in our lifetimes are precious. Hold the ones you hold dear close. 



In closing and as an industry professional, I am sending my condolences to all of the families affected by these losses. As an individual, I would like to add this:

We are often busy getting 'to that thing' we need to do or 'hurrying up time' to 'get through' life. I caution you all to stop today and calm your mind, grab a warm blanket and a cup of tea and just allow yourself to be.....really be, and connect to whomever or whatever brings you peace. Tomorrow is uncertain, yesterday is a memory, but this very moment is what you've got so make it everything you want it to be~

Candice Anne Marshall

Editor | Starlight Music Chronicles

No comments:

Post a Comment